Since 1973 Parents Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) has been a resource to assist parents and friends on their journey to accept and support LGBTQ persons in their families, workplaces and communities. PFLAG’s work started with one mother who changed the world when she raised a homemade sign and her lone voice in public support of her gay son. In speaking up, her voice helped change the world and inspired others to act as well.
Today PFLAG NYC provides services to New York City families, schools, corporations, and the larger community in order to increase understanding and acceptance of LGBT people. PFLAG programs consist of:
- Safe Schools – working with teachers, principals, counselors and students to ensure that LGBTQ youth are safe and successful in school
- Support Services – preserving relationships within families when someone comes out as LGBTQ and supporting LGBTQ individuals whose families are not accepting
- Corporate & Community Outreach – promoting an inclusive society through diversity education programs at corporations and businesses, community groups, religious institutions, and other organizations
- Media Campaigns – changing hearts and minds in society at large, including through the “Stay Close” Campaign, which features celebrity families speaking out for loving family relationships regardless of sexual orientation
- Advocacy – advocating for LGBTQ equality and civil rights
- PFLAG NYC’s unique voice has helped thousands by making schools safer, keeping families stronger, improving the workplace, and educating the general public.
PFLAG NYC is the founding chapter and has led the way in accelerating acceptance in the home and strengthening familial relationships. PFLAG offers a variety of supportive services such as:
- Regular Support Group Meetings
- TransFamilies Project - a dedicated group for parents of transgender children
- Stepping Stones - a parents group and simultaneous playgroup for younger children who are gender non-conforming or gender-creative
- API Rainbow Parents - support and information for Asian & Pacific Islander (API) individuals and their families with particular cultural and linguistic needs
A cornerstone program is the Safe Schools Program in which PFLAG focuses on making schools safe for LGBTQ students. This program offers members of the community an opportunity to participate in creating a safe environment for students.
- Learn five key ways you can help make your school safe
- Read our tips for professionals who work with LGBT youth
- Bring the PFLAG NYC Safe Schools Program to your school
- Volunteer with the Safe Schools Program to help kids thrive in school
To learn more about PFLAG and how you may contribute to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for students in NYC, visit them on the web and/or Like and Follow them on Facebook and Twitter.