Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Woman Spotlight: Monica Grant


Monica Grant’s company Young Boss Media intentionally creates media that provides positive and meaningful social impact. Her inspiration comes from her sociological and technological observations. Her observations of the rapid decline of the traditional American jobs, inspired her to start Young Boss Economic Club. The Young Boss Economic Club, an action driven mechanism is used to answer the questions of employment in fields where jobs are disappearing for workers being replaced by technology.


Young Boss Media’s keystone program is Master Plan. At Master Plan, Grant interviews entrepreneurs from all industries in minority communities across NYC. The Master Plan offers inspiration, resources and actionable items for creating, sustaining and growing a business in unpredictable times.


Grant understands the challenges of entrepreneurship, the opportunities said challenges present to learn and grow. Her goal is to use the YBM platform and its high-quality program to tackle issues head-on and provide solutions for the next generation of minority entrepreneurs.


Monica Grant
Founder, Young Blood Media

“Young Boss Media uses media as an organizing tool to educate and mobilize millennials in the areas of business, community and politics. As of November 2017, 4 television shows are in production.” Monica Sekhmet Grant


Monica Grant kindly answered a few questions that will enable the nglccNY membership to get to know her and her brands Young Boss Media and Master Plan.

Tell me about Young Boss Media and what prompted you came up with the idea for your business?
Young Boss Media produces business, community and political entertainment television programs for millennials, as well as, filming live events that matter to millennials.

Before becoming a full-time entrepreneur, I was a social justice organizer. I would knock on doors and talk to people about their issues, listen to their stories and envision their hope for the future. Young Boss Media is ultimately a vehicle to examine and promote stories and cultures that are rarely covered in the mainstream media.

In March 2017 we started producing our flagship talk show, Master Plan, which is focused on telling the stories of urban entrepreneurs and community leaders. We now produce several in-studio shows including The Vanguard, covering community issues, As the World Burns, a political satire show, and You Should Know Better, our beloved gameshow.


What sets Young Boss Media apart from others in the same space?
Our passion to tell stories that will empower viewers enough to change their life for the better. From starting a new business to running for office, our goal is to normalize stories of success, passion, wealth creation, power and self-actualization in communities that rarely see positive images of themselves.


I truly believe that what sets us apart the most, is that our desire to fulfill this purpose comes from a raw and authentic place. Every program represents real individuals and not just some grandiose ideas. Our hosts live real lives that connect with other millennials. The goal is not to be famous, just cause, but to tell stories that were once silenced. If this gets us fame, we will still humbly show up to work on the bigger picture each and every day. No gimmicks.



Ideally, who can benefit from your services?
We benefit a few people. Viewers that enjoy our programs, business owners seeking to reach millennials, producers seeking distribution opportunities on our platform and Influencers that want to be in front of the camera.


How did you become aware of nglccNY?
I was interviewing the lovely Sacred Walker of Kuumba Health on Master Plan and she invited me to attend an nglccNY mixer that night. It was history after that.


What was your initial impression? How has that changed over the last few months?
I love to network but initially I felt like this was Sacred's crowd, so I humbled myself, examined the room and followed her lead. If you know anything about Sacred, she is a networking champion. She introduced me to some amazing people that I still keep in contact with today.


My impression has only improved. I'm excited about the LGBT certification for Young Boss Media, being a member of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee and all of the opportunities that emerge at every mixer.

How has Young Boss Media been impacted since joining the nglccNY?
We are a new company but I foresee many members of nglccNY partnering with Young Boss Media in the near future.


How can the membership interested in working with Young Boss Media get started?
Send me an email YoungBossMediaTv@gmail.com. Let’s set up a time to talk about your ideas and we can see what works.


What special projects are you currently working on and how might nglccNY members support your endeavors?
We have 4 in-house tv programs for 2018, we are always looking for sponsors, cast members, producers, editors, writers, audience members, and interns, as well as businesses in need of a go-to media company that will cover their events and tell their story.


What would you say to anyone shying away from networking as they start their business?
Business is a contact sport, you cannot win if you're not physically and mentally in the game.




As the next generation of media moguls, what is your vision for the future of Young Boss Media?
I want to tell stories that have yet to be explored by mainstream media. Communities of Color, LGBTQI and low-income individuals and families are all connected by pain, trauma and injustices, but I am not here to portray us as victims. That narrative is not empowering, it only perpetuates our stereotypes, keeping us in a cycle of complaining and waiting. I want my people to be viewed as champions and I want to normalize it in a cool way. My sexuality, gender, age, race, income, accent, criminal record and so on...should never overshadow my mind, my intentions and the fruits of my labor.

What is your message to the universe?
Dear God, thank you for allowing me to be free enough to trust you with everything. Young Boss Media was a mustard seed that dug deep roots very quickly. Thank you for allowing me to be crazy enough to believe in myself and believe in you. Thank you for giving me a short attention span where I only have time to learn from my mistakes and move forward.


I’m on this Earth because God wants me to win. So all I can say is Thank You!

Is there is anything I haven't asked that you would like the readership to know about you/Young Boss Media?
Yes, I trust God in all of my decisions and I'm looking forward to filming feature films and expanding my company overseas.





Connect socially with Young Boss Media




Written by Ingrid Galvez,

Chair, Diversity & Inclusion and Programming,
nglccNY

Organizational Development Consultant, 

Strategic Remedy Group







Strategic Remedy Group is a certified LGBTBE focused on cultivating collaborative communities to propel business success.

No comments:

Post a Comment