Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Gregory Nalbone to Perform at Shining Stars Awards

Rising Star Music Sensation Brings Brilliant Voice and Graceful Form to Awards Evening

by Henry Jones

Gregory Nalbone will perform at the 2012 Shining Stars Awards, to be held at The Box on the Lower East Side.

“I love NGLCCNY,” said Mr. Nalbone, “and I’m glad to be performing for the LGBT business community at the Shining Stars Awards.”
Gregory Nalbone by Clecio Lira
Nalbone is a surprise gem in the music world. Raised in a small town in New Jersey, he arrived in New York in 1991, and worked as a model for the likes of Calvin Klein and Italian Vogue.

Growing up gay in the nineteen-eighties, young Gregory had a different sensibility from the boys around him, and was continually harassed.

“My mother taught me to play the piano as a boy,” said Mr. Nalbone. “Music was the gift she gave me – she died when I was eleven.”

More than anything, young Gregory Nalbone wanted to sing. He kept it a secret, scared his expression would be greeted by classmates’ fists.

Nalbone describes coming to New York as being given a “freedom pass.” His perfectionism drove him to pursue years of private voice training.

Mr. Nalbone sang publicly for the first time one Monday evening in September 2009, at an open microphone night on Second Avenue.

“I was terrified – I ran to the street and hailed a taxi to take me home before we’d even walked in the door,” remembers Nalbone. “David Schaefer, my voice coach, stopped me. ‘Just come in and sit, you don’t have to sing,’ he told me.”

A few minutes later Nalbone was on stage, looking out at the room. It was a small audience of thirty well-heeled music lovers. Mr. Nalbone recalled, “Everyone looked at me, their eyes twinkling. I stood there and sang – and at last my heart was free.”

Since then, Mr. Nalbone has been in dozens of performances, including eight sold-out New York shows.

“I push myself and am always preparing for my next appearance,” said Mr. Nalbone. “The Shining Stars Awards performance is an extraordinary opportunity to share my passion.”

Tickets to the Shining Stars Awards are available at nglccny.org.

Henry Jones is NGLCCNY Chief of Staff and an occasional contributor to the NGLCCNY News Blog. He can be reached at henry@nglccny.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment